Ratatouille is a famous French dish and it’s often made from fresh vegetables you have in the fridge. Ratatouille is also one of those every day dishes, you can make very quickly. It’s a nourishing and comforting food, especially when it’s cold outside. If you have kids, they will most likely love this simple vegan dish.
Yields: 6-8 servings
- 1 tblsp coconut oil
- 1/2 – 1 yellow onion, peeled, diced fine
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 3 large zucchini
- 1 Italian eggplant, cubed
- 2 orange, red or yellow bell peppers, diced fine
- 6-8 tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup passata
- 1 tblsp oregano
- Celtic sea salt & black pepper to taste
How to make
- Cut the eggplant into cubes. If the eggplant is not the italian version, toss the eggplant with the salt and place in a colander over a bowl for 30 min. – 1 hour, to drain away bitter juices. If you use Italian eggplant, it is not necessary to use salt and drain. Just cube the eggplant and use it as is.
- Prepare the zucchini, tomatoes and bell peppers, onion and garlic
- Add the coconut oil to a pot.
- Add the onion and garlic and let them simmer for a bit.
- Add the eggplant. Toss well
- Add the zucchini, bell pepper and tomatoes. Mix well
- Add the passata and the oregano
- Cover with a lid and let the ratatouille simmer at medium heat for 30 min.
Serve with steamed rice or quinoa and drizzle with fresh oregano
Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days.