Vegan, Gluten-Free, Nut-free, Soy-free
My daughters birthday is coming up and I am now in the kitchen experimenting with various cupcakes – my kids are ecstatic, as they get to eat cupcakes every day, until I come up with their favorites 🙂
I usually prefer to make raw cupcakes, but this time, I have to make something, that appeals to most kids, that are not familiar with raw cupcakes.
Some of my daughters friends have allergies/intolerances, so beside us being vegan (no animal products, eggs and dairy), we also avoid soy, stay gluten-free and in many cases leave out the nuts (when they have to be shared). Not a problem!…. so the first recipe I will post here is pumpkin cupcakes. A really great and healthier option for Halloween too :). My first version was ok (well, the kids and their friends ate them all), but the second version, which I made today was incredibly good. They are really easy to make and taste delicious!
- 2 cups organic gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp himalayan salt
- 1 tblsp baking powder
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 tsp ginger, ground (optional)
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice (optional)
- 1/2 cup sweetener (coconut sugar, maple sugar or date sugar or organic vegan sugar*)
- 1 1/4 cup pumpkin pulp
- 1/4 cup coconut mylk
- 2 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1 tblsp apple cider vinegar (ACV)
- 1/4 cup agave or maple syrup
- 1 tblsp flax seed meal (this is your vegan egg**)
- 1/4 cup apple sauce (from organic apple)
- 3 tblsp coconut oil (Artisana) (melted in a water bath)
* Be aware that if you use sugar and want to get the animal-free version, you need to get organic, vegan sugar, as all the U.S. companies (except the Yonkers in NYC, use cow bone char as the preferred whitening filter for cane sugar).
** Make your own flax meal by adding whole flax seeds to a high speed blender (Vitamix) and grind them up in a few seconds. Don’t buy pre-made flax meal, as flax contain oils, that go rancid fast. Keep your flax seeds in a cold place and grind them up before using (it’s also cheaper) 🙂
- Add the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and sweetener, flax meal) to a large bowl
- Add the wet ingredients (pumpkin pulp, coconut mylk, vanilla extract, ACV, agave, apple sauce, coconut oil to another bowl and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon
- Add the cup cake wraps to a cupcake tray (I used the mini and regular versions and checked the time after 17 min. with a thin bamboo spear to check if they were baked)
- Fill the cupcake wraps about 80%
- Bake at 350F for 20-22 min
- Let the cupcakes cool off on a tray on the kitchen counter
Make your favorite vegan or even vegan raw topping. I always make sure my kids don’t eat the sprinkles and toppings that are pre-made. They are stuffed with chemicals, soy and E-numbers, so not something I endorse at all…. plus there are creative alternative 🙂